competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chooch View Post
    The politics in no BS. I have a very good friend that should have been pro years ago. Dude is currently 310lbs LEAN, won the overall at numerous shows, and I’m not gonna say how but he pissed someone up high off and never won again. He’s actually going to make a comeback this year for that pro card. Dude is such a freak he hasn’t competed in a few years and about three weeks still had MD contact him about doing a photo shoot with him. Politics is BS in this sport. On the other side of it everybody is really pretty cool. I’ve been at shows with a bunch of guest posers and they’re all super cool and easy to talk to. It’s definitely a cool experience man, you’ll regret not doing it but I guarantee you’ll never regret doing it.
    Totally agree with you on all points. I have met some really great people at these shows. I'd say most of them are so down to earth. Just really cool genuine people. Now some of the pros you
    meet will have their noses up in the air but the majority don't. The politics is a joke though. These guys get bought very easily. If you don't believe that the politics is an issue just look at phil heath and the rest of the guys that Hany Rambod coaches. I don't think its coincidental that all his competitors always win the Olympia. Phil is a beast but shouldn't be the reining champ 7 years in a row. Hany also has quite a few woman competitors who always win as well. Don't get me wrong his athletes look amazing especially Jeremy whom I knew since he did his very competition and competed in BB in stead of physique. He's come a very long way. Hany has done very well for him.

Comment

I'm also thinking about competing in physiqe also want to put on a little bit more weight. I'm tall so 10 lbs barely shows on me. Going to see where I'm at at the end of this year I've had a string of shit setting me back. Apendicitis had me down for 6 weeks. Etc.. put me back nearly a cycle worth of size. I think I'm in my head too much though.

Comment

Competing is something I’d definitely like to do in the next year. There are at least two national shows where I am at, one in June and one in September, that Iwould like to shoot for in 2019.

I just finished 13 years in Army SOF, so I’m fit, but have some imbalances. So, need the correct those. Also partially tore my left bicep in an airborne accident years ago so I’m not sure how that would affect me. Probably do classic and masters over 35.

Coaching is definitely something I will probably need as I work up to it. Will for sure be bugging some of you guys with diet/prep info too. It’s nice to have some predictability now so I can set my mind to do something a year from now and know I’ll be here to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.
        -Og Mandino
        Average author, but had some good quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by student View Post
          Competing is something I’d definitely like to do in the next year. There are at least two national shows where I am at, one in June and one in September, that Iwould like to shoot for in 2019.

I just finished 13 years in Army SOF, so I’m fit, but have some imbalances. So, need the correct those. Also partially tore my left bicep in an airborne accident years ago so I’m not sure how that would affect me. Probably do classic and masters over 35.

Coaching is definitely something I will probably need as I work up to it. Will for sure be bugging some of you guys with diet/prep info too. It’s nice to have some predictability now so I can set my mind to do something a year from now and know I’ll be here to do it.

Sounds good bro. I would'nt compete in a national show for my first one though. I'd do a smaller local one. You do a national show and its probably going to crush your confidence. Do a smaller NPC show.

USA,

Comment

Funny you mention not doing a national show as a first attempt. I should know better than to plan on that, but Im used to aiming for the top and getting after it.

I ran into a guy at the gym today and he is prepping for a national show coming up. Put my current state well into perspective. Im not even close to ready for a show at that level. I just havent been any BBs to give me some perspective. Now I have it.

Ill definitely take your advice and focus on some local shows to break me in and see where it goes from there.

Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.
            -Og Mandino

Comment

When I decided to do my first show I hired a coach who has a decent reputation. Told him I wanted to do a smaller local show to get my feet wet and he basically said fuck that, do a big show and get a feeling for what its really like. So I did, and Im kinda glad I did. Oh and the masters class.....dont expect it to be a walk in the park lol. Some of those guys have been competing for years and are pretty damn good.
              Originally posted by d_rockw82
              Fawk using steroids to get skinny! You can use diet and training for that!

Comment

Especially the 35+ masters. Alot of those guys are beasts. Its really not unitl you get to the way older masters class that you might have some edge and less guys in your class.

Comment

I need to go to a show and just take it all in.

Ive been following the show results on the NPC page, but pictures never do justice.

I heard that on the masters class. From what I can tell that appears to be one of the most competitive categories. A lot of those guys are also winning the open overall.

Needless to say a lot of hard work needs to be done on this body.

Im one week into a 16 week recomp, just took some before pics, may post and start a log, or just post up before and after once complete.

-Og Mandino

Comment

Post pics how you look now. Heres a little hint, if you look good in pics on stage, youre a fkn monster lol. Its hard to look big I pics on stage, idk why. The angle, distance, idk.... and Id definitely to go a show, make sure you dont skip prejudging. Thats the most important part of it to have some idea what youre doing. Finals is the pony show, not really as important. Have fun man, its a good time. Hoping after this next shoulder shot Im not in pain because I want to get on stage again some time soon. Win, lose, or otherwise just getting there youve already done what most never can.

Comment

Only because you asked.

I know I have a lot of work to do and its difficult to see what detail there is in some places because I photoshopped tattoos out.
                      These were taken last night (6JUL18).
                      Also.............I need to learn how to pose.

Stats:
                      Age - 34
                      BF% - 18.1
                      HT - 5'9"
                      WT - 206
                      Hobbies - Long walks on the beach.
                      -Og Mandino

Comment

Looks like you got a pretty decent base to work with. Youd be surprised how different you look at low single digit body fat. Definitely need a coach and some time working on your posing. Gotta learn how to open your back up for sure. I dont think youre as bad off as you think you are though.

Comment

Student, as Chooch stated you have a great base. What do you plan on competing in? Posing is every bit as important as diet and training. Ive seen guys that don't look good beat guys that look way better than them all because of their posing. Good posers know how to use the lights to their advantage and make optical allusions so to speak. Ive also seen guys the day before the show when your doing the orientation and your sizing everyone up some guys look like beasts and ready to step on stage right then and then the next morning they look totally flat because they didn't time it out just right or they didn't carb up correctly. Either way the last week is very crucial and takes a lot of knowledge by a seasoned coach to get YOU dialed in since there is no one size fits all when it comes to peak week.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Id like to compete in classic physique. Id fall into division B with a weight limit on f 190.

Im thinking a comp. fall of 2019. I need to put on some quality muscle and try to come in towards the top of my weight class.

Im on a 16 week recomp to cut fat and really see what I look like.

Certainly posing is on the table for things I need to work on. I know that I dont know how to pose, let alone take advantage of the lights and stage angles.

As far as diet I am eating quality clean food. My understanding of contest prep diet, particularly leading up to show day is extremely limited.

I appreciate the input guys. Definitely a sponge soaking it up.

-Og Mandino

Comment

Working...
                            X