Squats and Deads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squats and Deads

Two of the best if not the two best overall movements for strength, how do you feel about them and how do you include them into your splits? Do you feel like doing both each week is too much not only for the muscles involved but also the CNS?

I hate them. Reads have fucked my lower back up more times than I can count. Squats have fucked my knees up more times than I can count. I have started doing a modified dead that I learned watching Charles Glass train someone. It's a light weight, and not from the floor but when done with perfect form I get ridiculous pumps in my back

Comment

Hey hey!!!
      Finally a lifting post!!!
      Squats and deads. Squats and deads.
      I'll say this: If you're just looking for aesthetics, squats and deads can be worked around to get jakt. Rack pulls and lying tbar rows along with dumbell rows and the usual everything else for back is great.
      For legs, the hack squat machine where you load the sled with plates and can do the modified squats or reverse hack squats are brutal. Single legged leg press is an awesome isolation exercise I've incorporated into my routine. Last year I'd taken a break from lifting to deal with family issues and had to start all over. While on my break I sat on an uncomfortable couch and my back went out when I stood up and couldn't get up. It's
      Been a nagging injury I've learned to work around and had nurse back to health so I could lift again. Still a process but I can deadlift again and squat again. It'll be a while before I hit 600 on deads for singles and 500 for squats again but I'm getting there.
      The aesthetic lifts I've mentioned above have helped me get back to being able to lift with squats and deads again.
      But if you're after strength and being the baddest man in any room you walk into, squat and deadlift. Maybe not as heavy as you can too often to not murder the ole CNS, but get your reps in at 80% ish.
      You can always tell who does them and who don't. Posture and overall look is different imho.
      I always squat and dead once a week as far apart as possible. When I was at my craziest, I'd do the squats and milk routine without the milk.
      Started 225x20 on day one and only did one set no matter what I was doing in my routine. I Added 10 pounds a day everyday until I was squatting 365x20. Seems nuts and some guys will say overtraining but i didn't have a physical job so I could give it hell and I was after a goal. Had to really eat so i could heal up. But if you can put in work with great form, why not see what you're really capable of? I stopped after 6 weeks and cut down to once a week but damn, my wheels were shiny.
      If you've got a good routine of going to the gym and a good foundation and great form, keep them as far apart in your workouts as possible and go after it. Some weeks will be better than others as far as cns stress and feeling spent. But cut down the weight and hit your reps to get thru it. You'll know when you don't have it. Some days you'll feel great on the way to lift and suck. Some days you'll feel like hell and drag yourself to the gym and amaze yourself. And do different variations of squats to keep your body guessing. Keep the lifting straps at home on deads and invest in some chalk.
      Do them while you can because one day you're gonna get older and recovery will be a lot harder. I don't believe in everything CT fletcher says but there's some truth in his rhetoric as far as self motivation. You will need rest every now and then for a week at a time so always listen to your body.
      Sorry for the novel, JUST WANTED TO YACK IN MY FAVORITE SECTION.... 😁😄😄
      FBL

Comment

They are the two most effective exercises in the gym, and if you want the best possible look and most overall strength, absolutely necessary. Yes, they can lead to injury if you build up to too much weight - I took a break from squatting to heal my knees, and once those were healed, I started again and was throwing huge amounts of weight on, only to tear my groin - but I would do them if you can. The only thing is that unless I wait a very long time to deadlift after I squat, I don't make gains on the deads as they use some of the same muscle groups (which is not surprising, as they use the most muscle groups of any two exercises). Basically, do whatever is necessary to grow without either getting injured or overtraining. But otherwise, you should include both exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by FatBoyLabs View Post
          Hey hey!!!
          Finally a lifting post!!!
          Squats and deads. Squats and deads.
          I'll say this: If you're just looking for aesthetics, squats and deads can be worked around to get jakt. Rack pulls and lying tbar rows along with dumbell rows and the usual everything else for back is great.
          For legs, the hack squat machine where you load the sled with plates and can do the modified squats or reverse hack squats are brutal. Single legged leg press is an awesome isolation exercise I've incorporated into my routine. Last year I'd taken a break from lifting to deal with family issues and had to start all over. While on my break I sat on an uncomfortable couch and my back went out when I stood up and couldn't get up. It's
          Been a nagging injury I've learned to work around and had nurse back to health so I could lift again. Still a process but I can deadlift again and squat again. It'll be a while before I hit 600 on deads for singles and 500 for squats again but I'm getting there.
          The aesthetic lifts I've mentioned above have helped me get back to being able to lift with squats and deads again.
          But if you're after strength and being the baddest man in any room you walk into, squat and deadlift. Maybe not as heavy as you can too often to not murder the ole CNS, but get your reps in at 80% ish.
          You can always tell who does them and who don't. Posture and overall look is different imho.
          I always squat and dead once a week as far apart as possible. When I was at my craziest, I'd do the squats and milk routine without the milk.
          Started 225x20 on day one and only did one set no matter what I was doing in my routine. I Added 10 pounds a day everyday until I was squatting 365x20. Seems nuts and some guys will say overtraining but i didn't have a physical job so I could give it hell and I was after a goal. Had to really eat so i could heal up. But if you can put in work with great form, why not see what you're really capable of? I stopped after 6 weeks and cut down to once a week but damn, my wheels were shiny.
          If you've got a good routine of going to the gym and a good foundation and great form, keep them as far apart in your workouts as possible and go after it. Some weeks will be better than others as far as cns stress and feeling spent. But cut down the weight and hit your reps to get thru it. You'll know when you don't have it. Some days you'll feel great on the way to lift and suck. Some days you'll feel like hell and drag yourself to the gym and amaze yourself. And do different variations of squats to keep your body guessing. Keep the lifting straps at home on deads and invest in some chalk.
          Do them while you can because one day you're gonna get older and recovery will be a lot harder. I don't believe in everything CT fletcher says but there's some truth in his rhetoric as far as self motivation. You will need rest every now and then for a week at a time so always listen to your body.
          Sorry for the novel, JUST WANTED TO YACK IN MY FAVORITE SECTION.... 😁😄😄
          I don't use straps for deads, i stick to one hand pronated and the other supinated for deads. The only time I use lifting straps is on bent over barbell rows and usually only on the last few sets when I'm tired and form is failing a bit.

I absolutely love deads and squats but only do one or the other each week since they both tax the quads so much.

Comment

Working...
          X