What would you pay for an old school gym?

chicken_hawk

Diamond Member
Warning rant.

Anyway, most people who will be members at my gym are cool with all I'm doing, but I have a few friends who go to the gym who shall I say aren't as dedicated even if they think they are. First they tell me they are only paying $30 bucks and I'm like hell, I go to the same gym and pay 39. Then I tell them there is a annual improvement fee of 75 so now your at 46 then add 99 sign up fee and you're at 55/month. But people like to themselves and me saying they pay thirty.

Our rates will be 65 single or 55 each for married couple,student, first responder, vet. And, I'll take care of anyone will limited resources like a single mom etc. But, its a numbers game and I can't do this for less and make it worth it. It's not like I can quit my day job, this is a side gig because I love the iron game.

We have no contracts, pay month to month, no sign up, no annual fee, no bullshit! But, the few haters say, the price point is twice as much as other gyms and I'm like who? The CrossFit clubs that charge 150 for 3 hrs a week or the pling gym in NJ that gets $275 month? You can't compare apples with bananas.

Thanks for listening,
Hawk

dnok

Lifetime Member
Remember that what your doing is born from your love and need of this type of environment. There will be others out there with the same love and need. They will happily pay the asking price. Those that won't are probably not the ones you want there anyway.
The more dedicated and like minded the members the better the overall vibe of the venue.

I would consider a 50% off one week trial or something similar to get them through the door. If the atmosphere, equipment, other members works for them they will cough up the rest of the cash without fail. If not, no harm no foul cos you just made an extra few dollars that you wouldn't have because they wasn't prepared to pay the full amount straight away.

Numbers are numbers. You can't argue with them. If you need to charge that to make it work then that's what you charge. Apart from the occasional hot single mom of course, she can make up the difference with a quick blowjob once a week or an extra one on one private cardio session in the back of the office. That just goes without saying of course.

Stick to your guns man, let the haters hate and the slackers piss off somewhere else to do curls in the squat rack :cool:

chicken_hawk

Diamond Member
Remember that what your doing is born from your love and need of this type of environment. There will be others out there with the same love and need. They will happily pay the asking price. Those that won't are probably not the ones you want there anyway.
The more dedicated and like minded the members the better the overall vibe of the venue.

I would consider a 50% off one week trial or something similar to get them through the door. If the atmosphere, equipment, other members works for them they will cough up the rest of the cash without fail. If not, no harm no foul cos you just made an extra few dollars that you wouldn't have because they wasn't prepared to pay the full amount straight away.

Numbers are numbers. You can't argue with them. If you need to charge that to make it work then that's what you charge. Apart from the occasional hot single mom of course, she can make up the difference with a quick blowjob once a week or an extra one on one private cardio session in the back of the office. That just goes without saying of course.

Stick to your guns man, let the haters hate and the slackers piss off somewhere else to do curls in the squat rack :cool:
Thanks brother and I was just hot because that came from a guy I truly respect, but he's also a guy who counts how many sperm leave his body and will only place a bet once he has the winning hand. It's worked for him, but then again I am not him. Funny, thing is, that conversation happened last night and this morning my fb inbox had a message from someone I didn't know or have any mutual friends with. He left a short and sett message, I have been watching your progress and have been waiting years for a gym like this! I was reassured that there are more guys like us than I realized and there has never been a better time as all we have is big commercial gyms.

And you're in my head, I have already handed out over 150 free 5 day passes. Most new gyms want you to preregister before the doors open, F that! I figure if someone comes back a second day then I have member for life.

Hawk

dnok

Lifetime Member
That random guy reaching out to you and sending a message is no coincidence mate. That's an affirmation from the universe that your on the right track.
Believe in yourself and believe the desired outcome is already assured and project that positivity in everything you do and to everyone you see and it will come back to tenfold.
:cool:

chicken_hawk

Diamond Member
That random guy reaching out to you and sending a message is no coincidence mate. That's an affirmation from the universe that your on the right track.
Believe in yourself and believe the desired outcome is already assured and project that positivity in everything you do and to everyone you see and it will come back to tenfold.
:cool:
Thanks for the vote of confidence my man! It's gonna be good!

Hawk

chicken_hawk

Diamond Member
If you got heavy dumbbells, power rack, set of cables and cardio machine. Im there.
3 racks, cable crossover jungle, dbells to 150, 112 45# plates alone, but only two treadmill's and two bikes.

If your ever in town swing by,
Hawk

Chooch

Lifetime Member
im conflicted. I can see it going two different ways and working (money wise). You charge what you think it’s worth and hope there’s enough hardcore guys that come to turn a profit. Or, go with the strength in numbers philosophy like Planet Fitness, charge a lower rate knowing you’ll get 6394959363 members, and still have enough equipment to draw the hardcore guys. I know it’s your passion but never forget it’s still a business and you gotta do what’s gonna bring enough revenue to keep the doors open and pad your pockets some. Good luck bro!

dnok

Lifetime Member
planet fitness and hardcore don’t mix like two dicks and no bitch.
Name that tune!
I agree. It's comparing apples with oranges. A million members in an overcrowded gym full of mirror wankers, guys just looking for pussy and CrossFit wankers is about as far away from what the guy is looking for.

Yeah you got to earn a living but no one goes into something like this expecting to be sold out straight away. It can take a little time but slowly but surely word spreads between those that matter and you'll have a nice solid base that pays the bills and maintains the atmosphere your looking for. Make it through the first year and it will only grow from there.
Start off with your current goal and end up turning into just another commercial shit hole and watch those decent members run.

Fuck the masses. Isn't that pretty much our kinds philosophy? Fuck the masses who wants to be those pencil necks lol

There’s a new / hardcore gym by me and it’s been like Dnok said, word of mouth is spreading and I’m seeing more and more familiar faces....

Chooch

Lifetime Member
Let’s face the facts, “guys like us” come and go all day long. How many faces have you seen here today, and then gone tomorrow? You’ll always make money with a lot of memberships. Especially knowing 80% of those people will pay that monthly fee but never step foot in that gym. I understand it’s a hard pill to swallow because of the mentality here, but this is a business. Personal feelings and business don’t mix. Call me a sellout but if I opened a gym I’m have all the awesome equipment I could wish for, but I’d still sell memberships to the masses so I could profit. Just my .02

dnok

Lifetime Member
But your missing the point. The idea is to have somewhere desirable. You know what comes with desirable? The willingness to pay. The key is getting the attention of those your targeting, that's the hard part but there is plenty of those people about.

Chooch

Lifetime Member
I understand what you’re saying, believe me I get it. But if I’m looking to turn a profit and make money I’m going with numbers. Hardcore guys come and go, there aren’t that many out there to begin with and most of them don’t last very long. But those ppl that’ll pay the few every month while they sit at home eating Cheetos......there’s millions of them. I’m just giving another point of view. He asked about membership cost and I’m just saying that’s the route I’d go and why.

dnok

Lifetime Member
Yeah but the very point of the gym in the first place was to create a place that is different to those exact kinda places that your refering too lol. If he targets that market then he is going against the whole point of his original venture. Your plan would be the backup plan to keep the doors open if the original plan failed lol. Personally I'd rather torch the building and get my money back from the insurance pay out and call it quits than work at a place like that lol :cool: :)

chicken_hawk

Diamond Member
Well, looks like the cooks were in the kitchen when I was gone. Anyway, I was out getting the mats for the free weights last night then a few too many rum n diets.

Chooch, your point is legit and I have heard it a lot from well knowledgeable and well intententioned people with my best interests in mind. But, there are a few things to keep in mind. One, like dnok said, I wouldn't spend what little savings I had on a commercial gym. I would just buy a boat or some shit. Two, smarter guys than me have said you either need to be different or you are by default less than. There is only one McDonald's and all the copy cats can't even touch them.

So, if you are different than you make your own rules. You can't take the rules and philosophy of McDonald's and apply is to Five Guy's Hamburgers. Where the hell is the drive thru? Why don't you premake your burgers? Why do you use high quality meat? Why such a limited menu? What $5 for a burger? So, they may not make as much as McDonald's but you can't compare them to McDonald's. Five guys does just fine offering a totally different burger and even literally across the street in my town. LOL

You need a niche and you need something people are passionate about if you want to ask more money. Then deliver the goods. Also, people who say atmosphere doesn't matter must have never competed in sports, for a job or done public speaking. Atmosphere is equal or maybe more important than equipment. People loved quads and that was a shit hole in many respects, but for years it was the place to be. Partly, because of Eddie, but it was hardocre. Hell they still had an old chrome universal machine from the 70's.

My expectations are not to get loaded, but to supplement my income with something I enjoy. Some people love money, I need money but I enjoy my friends and the gym more.

Hawk

I just think $50+ is too much. It’s probably what u will need thought to break even or make a little profit. I’m paying $15 a month to be able to hit 3 different Golds Gyms in my area. I mostly hit the one and it has all the equip I like. There are maybe a couple hammer strength match ones I like that they don’t have. I would pay extra for gym that has them. But not much more. Maybe $30 a month. But I am cheap. If it was $50 I would probably stay at Golds TBO.